Powerlessness

A piece I wrote in class on the topic of powerlessness:

Powerlessness is a familiar feeling. I'd like to think I feel powerful all the time, but no. There are many situations in which I feel at a loss of power. For being a woman. For the color of my skin. I remember when a client said he preferred a male counselor, and when I asked him why, he said "You know how it is with women." No, actually, I don't. I felt like my power, my ability, and my capability, were just snatched from under my feet. To this day I hate when people assume I'm anything less than what I am because of the color of my skin. It feels unfair, and suddenly it becomes my intent to prove them wrong. I've felt powerless because of my age as well, or my perceived age, based on my appearance or size. For most, it's thinking I'm less aware of less experienced.

I think feeling powerful comes in a way, from knowing you are heard and your input is valued. While moments when this is not the case can really bring about feelings of powerlessness, I know that feeling powerful, or not-so-powerful, comes from within. Growing up, I've always been taught that the sky is the limit when you have an education. Nobody can take your education away from you, or reduce it to anything less than it is. Power is also influence. In our profession we are in a way in a place of power, as we are able to bring about change and provide people with the tools they need. We are able to empower those who are powerless, whether it be due to their race, gender, disability, society, or whatever it might be. At the end of the day, there may be certain domains or arenas in which we feel powerful, and others in which we don't. It's up to us to actualize the power within us.

- Cheryl Cherian

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To-Do Lists

Fresh off the Press