The Power of Pain

The Power of Pain

Pain is probably one of the most powerful feelings in the world. Out emotions drive our actions, our choices to do or not do something. Of all the emotions, pain- feeling hurt, low, experiencing something so unfair- pain drives people to act. When I think of counseling and those in the helping professions, I realize that for many of us, pain experienced directly or indirectly, has led us to this field. For myself, I think of when I experienced the passing of someone close to me, and how low I had felt at that time. There was power in that pain. Wanting and knowing that it is my duty, when it's in my ability, to help people in their pursuit of happiness and the pursuit of the lives they want and deserve. Apart from that, there's also power in the pain of all the clients I see. Interacting with their pain, and seeing clients progress, gives me all of the joy and the drive to keep doing what I'm doing, and the willingness and desire to do it better each day.

Pain in and of itself is powerful. While it can go the other route and pain can sometimes lead people to their demise, we have to also see the beauty in pain. We sometimes see those experiencing pain in any way, shape, or form, and pity them. But really, on the other side of the pain is learning and growth. Pain can cultivate something within us to overcome, to encourage, uplift, and harness our potential. I'm thankful for the pain that I have experienced, and for the role that it has played in making me who I am. Pain is one of the most powerful things in the world, because it shapes us into who we are. When I look at the strong people in my life that I admire, I sometimes see the pain that made them who they are. It shows us resilience and strength. Without pain, I would hardly be half of the person I am today.

-Cheryl Cherian

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To-Do Lists

Fresh off the Press