Kindness

We experience hurt and pain in many different ways. The little things sometimes hurt the most, and it really just boils down to kindness. Kindness is simply being considerate of the feelings of others At times it's the unsolicited unkindness that does the most damage. I try to be as kind, as sensitive, as helpful, and as positive as possible. Most days, at least. That's why when people people are rude, disrespectful, or behave in hurtful ways to me, it just doesn't make sense. I almost think to myself, "Why?" It's easy to take it to heart, but it has always been the case that the way someone acts is a reflection of who they are. It certainly takes a great deal of courage to be the bigger person and not retaliate. But that doesn't mean anyone should have to bear the pain of it all. Nothing about someone else behaving in such a way towards you is in your control.

I was driven to write this because I experienced a situation like this today that really just took me aback. I felt the natural and immediate human response. I felt hurt. I let myself sit in it for a while and reflect. I discussed it with a couple people close to me, and I concluded that there really is something that it in my control. I can choose to be kind. I can be the example of what I love to see, experience, and be- kindness. At the end of the day, I was surprised by a beautiful gesture of kindness that filled my heart in such a way that none of that mattered. It goes to show that choosing kindness will always be worth it.

-Cheryl Cherian

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To-Do Lists

Fresh off the Press