My Spiritual Journey

It's interesting how so many people are raised entirely as Christians, attending Christian schools, going to church every Sunday, and going to Sunday school. However, many of these people go on to become nonbelievers. I've always found it so interesting that those who are most immersed either want the same (if not more) as adults, or take the opposite route. Is it something that we can catch onto while they are still young? If it isn't working for them, perhaps take a different approach? Or does it just take its natural course?

My family is of course a church-going family, however as a child I never felt  personally connected to God. Many children don't. It's not that I didn't consider myself a Christian. Of course I did. I enjoyed going to church. I knew it was the right thing to do. I knew God loved me, and I prayed to Him. There were plenty of prayers and plenty of church songs. Plenty of amazing memories growing up in church. Perhaps I just had to find the connection myself. Sometime in 10th grade I came to become more spiritual. I felt a personal connection with God that I actually felt shy to share openly. I would pray in my room and I even remember saying short prayers before my exams at school. I really have no idea where it came from. Maybe it was a time when I felt that there was no way something would have turned out how I wanted it to, but I said a prayer and knew that the result was God's work.

Still, I would say my spirituality had a time when it faded. I knew God was watching over me, and every success was owing to Him, but I chose not to go out of my way to pursue a personal connection. And yet, when I really needed God, I found Him again. When I felt that nothing in life was working, I knew that the only thing that could touch my life, was strengthening my relationship with Christ. I sought it out myself and began reading the Bible more, and paying attention in ways I had never done before. More than that, I found a new church with songs that always move me to tears without fail, and sermons that are empowering.

Looking back at my church journey, I can't help but wonder how my spiritual path would have been different if I was going to a church like this all along. Or would that have even made a difference? Did I have to find Christ on my own to develop my own connection? I do know that just as in any relationship, though it may be full of ups and downs, upholding a relationship with Christ takes willingness, time, and effort.

-Cheryl Cherian

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To-Do Lists

Fresh off the Press