Keeping Up With Friends

Keeping up with friends post-college has to be one of the hardest things to do in life that nobody ever really warned you about. You always see in movies that friends from college are hanging out, going on trips, even raising their kids together. That was always the dream in college. After college, I saw that in time my friends were all scattered over the map. Some friends never really made it more than 2 years after college. Some that I weren't as close with in college unexpectedly ended up being more important in my life much later. At the end of the day though, I saw that my friends were far and few. Keeping up with them, albeit them being far and few, proved to be a challenge. Unlike college, during which everyone is contained in the same general area, coordinating schedules and getting together even just for a lunch had become considerably more difficult.

The first couple years after college it didn't bother me that I wasn't as close with many friends because I was still doing my own thing post-grad and feeling great. At some point though, you realize that you need friends. Everyone I've talked to about this conundrum of keeping up with friends from college has told me that it's never consistent. We all go through times when we might lose touch, and then come back to friendships. It's only normal when everyone is still trying to figure out their own lives. What I understand now is that the friendships that really matter require love, attention, and time. Your own initiative determines the fate of your friendships.

-Cheryl Cherian

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To-Do Lists

Fresh off the Press